The Strategy Canvas helps you to define the playground when
turning your idea into reality.It consolidates some of the core
understandings and adds strategic aspects like go-to-market
strategy, positioning against stakeholders and a business case.
1. Work from right to left.
2. Start by defining your future position (middle layer).
3. Collect all major influencing factors (top layer).
4. Outline your key strategies (bottom layer).
Challenge your statements continuously and check
interdependencies. If needed, use the Monetisation Canvas for a business case
Core elements of the canvas
Focus on the main peers for your business model based
on influencing power and potential risks.
• Are these stakeholders supporting or contradicting your
• How do you transform your stakeholders into
ambassadors of your platform?
Focus on the main theme that keeps you working on each
• Where do you see the platform in 2-3 years?
• The vision is more an internal view and future-oriented
03 Resource-based Strategy
Focus on internal capabilities / assets (tangible and
intangible) in order to assert your position in the market.
• What are the resources that are of value, rare, costly to
imitate and organised to capture value in order to be
considered as sustained competitive advantage?
04 Business Case
Focus on the main assumptions of your business case.
• What are the variables and how uncertain are the
• When do you reach break even level?
05 Business drivers
Focus on the most important variables that are driving
your platform success (e.g. number of consumers, number
of transactions, etc.).
Focus on the main service or product substitutes.
• What are your current competitors? What could be
future competitors (new entrants)?
• What are substitute products or services for your
Focus on your perception within the market.
• What‘s the purpose of your platform?
(Check dependencies to your value proposition).
• The mission is more an external view and focused on
the current state.
08 Market-based Strategy
Focus on ways to gain a foothold in the market.
• How do you position yourself within the market and
against your competitors?
• How do you generate lock-in effects (high switching