The Value Canvas helps you to define the core value
proposition and business model of your platform. You
understand the core motivation of every stakeholder to join the
platform. And you design the inbound and outbound
transactions incl. revenue streams.
1. Define the core element & mission of your platform.
2. Define the key stakeholders.
3. Define the value propositions.
4. Define the inbound / outbound transactions.
Concentrate on the value proposition for each stakeholder
segment. It’s important that you get this right, because your
platform needs to serve multiple segments at the same time. If necessary do a deep dive with the “Stakeholder Persona
Core elements of the canvas
01 Core Value & Mission
In the center of each platform business model is the core
value traded on the platform. The core value is the
connection between the stakeholders. Around this core
the platform will provide additional value propositions.
UBER is to get ride from A to B, AirBnB is to get a stay at a location and YouTube is entertainment.
On the outer ring position the key stakeholders
(consumers, producers, partners). Think in roles, not in
• Who is consuming the values?
• Who is producing the values?
• Who is providing additional services?
03 Value Proposition
On the dark grey ring define the key value propositions for
each stakeholder role. There must be a benefit for all
stakeholders – otherwise the whole business model will
Ask 5 times why to discover the true reasons – or use the
Value Proposition Canvas to get a deeper understanding
of the jobs-to-be-done, pains and gains of the
The transactions are inbound and outbound deliverables –
tangible and intangible.
• Inbound: What values brings the stakeholder to the
• Outbound: What gets the stakeholder from the platform?
• Money / Revenue: Map the flow of the money, which will allow to understand your business model.