The Platform Idea Canvas helps you to scribble a platform business
idea on a one-pager. By filling all gaps you make sure, that
you’ve taken all essential elements of an business model into
account. You are able to quickly create an idea portfolio by
running several iterations.
1. Fill in the gaps, starting with the “what” (value proposition).
2. Define all players (peers) on your platform.
3. Describe how you want to make money (revenue model)
and the corresponding value stream.
4. Give your idea a catchy name, and then pitch your idea and clarify the understanding.
At this stage it is most important to generate as many ideas as
possible. Try to pitch your idea in an elevator speech of 1
minute max by starting with the “what”.
Core elements of the canvas
Name the main peers of your platform:
Consumers: Who is going to use information / services on your
Partners : Who is able generate additional value to
producers / consumers?
Producers: Who is going to provide information / services on
02 Value Proposition
Focus on the core value the platform is going to
provide to the different peers.
• A one sentence description of your business idea.
• Why should the peers join?
• What is the main service you provide?
03 Value Stream
Focus on value stream that is processed on your
• How do you transform inputs into outputs?
• What are the core jobs you do as a platform?
04 Revenue Model
How do you want to make money?
• What are the platform flows? (goods & services,